The Master of Science (MS) in Financial Management at Boston University’s Metropolitan College is designed for college kids looking for a specialized training in worldwide finance, inclusive of funding evaluation and worldwide finance. Available on campus and on line, the Financial Management master’s application is designed for college kids searching for careers in company finance, economic control, investments, and multinational finance.
Metropolitan College is a participant inside the CFA Institute University Affiliation Program. The Financial Management graduate diploma and concentrations curricula embed a significant portion of the CFA® Program Candidate Body of Knowledge™ (CBOK) and covers the Standards of Practice Handbook, presenting super guidance for the the world over recognized Chartered Financial Analyst® (CFA) Program exams. In addition, scholarships for the CFA Program examination are to be had to enrolled students.
The Master of Science in Financial Management application gives concentrations in Investment Analysis and International Finance.
- Knowledge relevant to all elements of finance, which includes corporate finance, global finance and change, and investments and derivatives.
- An expertise of danger–reward characteristics of economic markets and securities.
- Mastery of quantitative strategies to evaluation of domestic and international financial enterprise demanding situations in areas of protection valuations and risk control.
- Comprehension of the importance of moral conduct in all elements of enterprise, management, and finance.
- Awareness of extensive adjustments in the international financial regulatory environment, particularly after the subprime credit score crisis of 2008, and the way those adjustments impact the general economic gadget.
For current admissions records, please go to the Metropolitan College website.
Credits for graduate publications in Administrative Sciences that meet the program criteria and acquire a grade of B– or higher can be transferred to the Administrative Sciences certificate applications, with the earlier approval of the branch.
Two non-compulsory courses taken outdoor of the Administrative Sciences branch may be applied to the Master of Science in Financial Management degree.
An average grade point average of three.0 or better should be earned to stay in accurate academic standing and satisfy the necessities to earn the diploma or certificates.
A total of ten courses (40 credit) is needed, distributed as follows:
Degree Core Courses (four guides/16 credit)
- MET AD 630 Financial and Managerial Accounting
- MET AD 678 Financial Regulation and Ethics
- MET AD 685 Quantitative Methods for Finance
- MET AD 731 Corporate Finance
Specialization Courses (four courses/sixteen credit)
- MET AD 712 Financial Markets and Institutions
- MET AD 714 Mergers and Acquisitions
- MET AD 717 Investment Analysis and Portfolio Management
And one of the following:
- MET AD 709 Case Studies in Current Corporate Financial Topics
- MET AD 713 Derivative Securities and Markets
- MET AD 719 Fixed Income Analysis
- MET AD 763 Multinational Finance and Trade
General Electives (two guides/eight credit)
Select from the following list:
- MET AD 605 Operations Management: Business Process Fundamentals
- MET AD 610 Enterprise Risk Management
- MET AD 642 Project Management
- MET AD 644 Project Risk and Cost Management
- MET AD 648 Ecommerce
- MET AD 680 Global Supply Chains
- MET AD 715 Quantitative and Qualitative Decision-Making
- MET AD 741 The Innovation Process: Developing New Products and Services
- MET CJ 632 White-Collar Crime
- MET CS 555 Data Analysis and Visualization with R
Or select some other graduate-degree path decided on from other Administrative Sciences branch services or Metropolitan College departments in addition to from other schools and schools within Boston University, with an marketing consultant’s approval.
Concentration in International Finance
The awareness in International Finance is designed for experts whose paintings includes multinational businesses and global monetary markets. By completing this awareness, students will be ready to cope with company questions bearing on foreign exchange chance, transaction and translation publicity, and corporate approach and overseas direct investment. Graduates can be certified for jobs in regions of credit hazard evaluation, quantitative security selection, chance measurement and mitigation, coins control, and impact of foreign exchange charges on fee of capital and budgeting.
The attention in International Finance will provide the necessary tools for college students to navigate through the multinational economic system, recognize global portfolio control, and explore the stability of payments and international monetary linkages. Students could be able to specialise in a surprisingly favored area of finance as we witness improved stage of move-border investments and multinational mergers and acquisitions.
Students who complete this concentration must be capable of understand multinational monetary control; provide an explanation for the concept of equilibrium exchange rates; differentiate between nominal and actual change costs; outline social, political, cultural, and financial country risks; discover fundamental elements that determine forex risk for a enterprise; determine the fee of capital for overseas investments; and describe the dangers and blessings of worldwide investing.
- Knowledge applicable to all elements of finance, along with company finance, international finance and change, and investments and derivatives.
- An know-how of threat–reward traits of monetary markets and securities.
- Mastery of quantitative processes to evaluation of home and worldwide monetary industry challenges in regions of safety valuations and risk management.
- Comprehension of the importance of ethical conduct in all elements of commercial enterprise, management, and finance.
- Awareness of good sized changes within the international financial regulatory surroundings, mainly after the subprime credit disaster of 2008, and the way those adjustments effect the general monetary gadget.
Concentration RequirementsConcentration in Investment Analysis
Designed for experts already running in, or looking for positions in, funding research, chance management, security choice, and portfolio control, the concentration in Investment Analysis offers in-depth know-how of investment strategies, asset valuation, and investment control. Graduates of the program might be organized to excel at quite a few careers in finance involving analysis and valuation of monetary belongings in addition to danger control.
Students will examine the general funding technique in addition to the key factors concerned, consisting of asset allocation and protection selection. They will attain simple expertise of debt, equity, and derivatives securities which include alternatives and futures contracts. Students may also find out about offerings furnished by way of mutual finances and be capable of construct portfolios with exclusive danger levels.
The attention in Investment Analysis offers students with an in-depth knowledge of systematic and firm-specific risks, and how to reduce company-particular risk by using combining specific securities in a portfolio. Additionally, college students will examine the capital asset pricing model (CAPM) idea; be capable of calculate bond prices, gathered hobby, promised yields, and found out yields; and understand energetic bond portfolio control. Moreover, students will discover ways to price a organization the usage of regular growth or multistage dividend discount models, monetary statements, and financial ratio analysis.
- Understanding of the general investment technique and the important thing factors concerned in the investment method, together with asset allocation and safety selection.
- Basic understanding of debt, equity, and derivatives securities.
- Basic know-how of options and futures contracts.
- Basic understanding of the offerings supplied by way of mutual finances, and the capability to discover assets of information on investment companies.
- The ability to assemble portfolios of different threat tiers, given information about danger-loose costs and returns on risky property.
- Full know-how of systematic and company-specific threat, and methods to lessen the amount of organization-unique hazard in the portfolio via combining securities with differing patterns of returns.
- Insight on the idea and usage of the capital asset pricing version (CAPM).
- Experience with the calculation of bond prices along with amassed interest, promised yields, and realized yields.
- Competence with lively bond portfolio control.
- Basic understanding of some of the macroeconomic elements that affect safety expenses.
- Familiarity with the roles of monetary and monetary policy in influencing hobby fees and safety charges.
- The ability to price a firm the use of either a consistent increase or multistage dividend discount model and the fee/income ratio version; the capability to investigate a corporation the use of the basic monetary statements to perform ratio analysis.
- The competencies to calculate capability profits because of numerous option trading strategies and to formulate portfolio control techniques to alter the danger-return attributes of the portfolio; the competencies to calculate choice expenses in a -country global (thru a simplified binomial model).
- Comprehension of market timing, timing overall performance measures, and the issues that timing causes in performance measurement.
Concentration RequirementsGood Standing
No grade lower than B– can be implemented closer to degree, certificates, or diploma necessities. Students earning beneath a three.0 cumulative grade point common (GPA) can be placed on instructional probation reputation. Students on academic probation must make excellent progress in the direction of accomplishing a minimum of three.0 by way of the subsequent semester, and have to be in a function to graduate with a 3.zero or better inside the remaining software guides. While grades of B or B– are taken into consideration passing, those grades will not help in raising an unsatisfactory GPA to a fine degree. Therefore, college students need to acquire a minimum grade of B+ in the course of a probation duration.
Students who, inside the dedication of the branch and based on past student overall performance, aren’t in a function to elevate their GPA to the necessary level to graduate within the remaining courses could be brushed off from this system. Students who’ve now not eliminated themselves from academic probation status after one semester for complete-time status or three courses for element-time reputation will be dismissed from the program.
Second Master’s Degree Option
In appreciation of the converging wishes of control and era, the departments of Actuarial Science, Administrative Sciences, and Computer Science collaborate to offer a completely unique opportunity to college students currently enrolled in their diploma applications as well as alumni of these programs. Learn more.
Chartered Financial Analyst is a registered trademark owned via CFA Institute.