In your first yr, you’ll be brought to the underlying center management disciplines of economics, organisational behaviour, and accounting and finance. You may even take middle modules in commercial enterprise computing, law, and quantitative methods.
Overall, the primary 12 months equips you with a rational-monetary, organisational and accounting/economic attitude of management and corporations.
This module gives an advent to the fundamental concepts of finance and could assist you:
- recognize that there may be a courting between the danger of an funding and the predicted returns
- understand the idea of the time fee of money and be able to calculate the prevailing value of a single and multiple destiny cash flows
- for you to practice NPV to undertaking appraisal in practical situations
- apprehend the fundamental thoughts or portfolio principle and be able to follow the CAPM
- so that you can estimate fee of capital for equity (CAPM and dividend increase version) and bonds (marketplace cost and IRR)
This module will cowl:
- UK felony framework
- effect of EU regulation
- law of agreement – critical factors, performance and remedies
- enterprise and the regulation of tort
- employment law
- law in a neighborhood and global context
- criminal persona; sole investors; partnerships and constrained agencies
- reason and prison fame of memorandum and articles
- management and the management of a organisation
Computers in Business
This module will introduce the usage of computers and IT in business these days – and specifically spreadsheet modelling – thru a lab primarily based evaluation and a case study group report and presentation.
This module introduces you to the microeconomic principle of the marketplace, firm and customer, and to the nature and scope of the macroeconomic coverage agenda, growing the analytical frameworks important for the assessment of coverage instruments. The module allows you to recognize the monetary arguments that underlie one of a kind perspectives and to assess relevant arguments.
Topics consist of: marketplace demand, deliver and equilibrium; firm manufacturing and prices; marketplace shape (ideal opposition, oligopoly, monopoly); consumer concept; marketplace failure; uneven records; externalities; combination demand; cash and hobby prices; combination deliver; unemployment and inflation; balance of bills and alternate costs.
This module gives you with the possibility to apply for CIMA accreditation inside the CIMA paper: Fundamentals of Business Economics. It additionally presents you with the foundations to construct upon in quantitative and econometric modules which affords you with the possibility to apply for added CIMA accreditation.
Fundamentals of Financial and Management Accounting
This module covers:
- key accounting principles
- the impact of accounting policy selection
- the recording and collating of accounting statistics, consisting of double access bookkeeping
- preparation of economic assertion from accounting records
- cost concepts and allocation of producing overheads
- absorption and variable costing
- fee-quantity-profit analysis
- relevant costing
This module will introduce you to the primary ideas of organisational behaviour. The content material will inspire you to increase an know-how of coping with and growing people within enterprise corporations.
The module will draw its primary cloth from the major theorists and theories of both organisational psychology and organisational behaviour. The module may even expand links with different elements of the business faculty curriculum which include trendy control and international enterprise.
Professional and Academic Development
This module covers:
- regulations and guidelines of studying at college, organisational abilities and time control, and a way to method reflective work and abilities evaluation
- essay writing, referencing and plagiarism, taking mins and agendas
- crew operating, listening talents, values, non-public attributes, networking, cultural attention
- problem fixing, crucial wondering and choice making, SDGs and challenge – social corporations
- look at abroad, careers insight days, CVs and applications
- conversation – non-public emblem, self-consciousness values
- venture control
- interviews and evaluation days – careers and some outside groups, business cognizance
- presentation competencies
- ethics in business and technology in terms of future careers
Quantitative Methods 1B
This module covers:
- monetary software of calculus
- self belief periods
- creation to hypothesis testing
- partial differentiation
- optimisation of two variables
- random variables
- sampling distributions
Managing Operations in the Digital Enterprise
This module gives an included evaluation of operations management and facts structures, overlaying the following:
- Key technology tendencies: Web 2.0, cloud, cell computing
- Manufacturing structures layout and management (process desire, format, area)
- Service operations design and control
- Balancing potential and call for
- Information systems evaluation and layout
- Operations making plans and manage, which includes stock management
- Operations excellence, lean wondering and business method re-engineering
- Supply chain layout and management
- Customer dating control
- Knowledge management
- Business intelligence and analytics
Quantitative Methods 1A
This module introduces you to:
- descriptive data
Tourism Futures: The Challenge of Sustainability
This module will survey the international tourism industry in the 21st century. Starting with lectures on the history and sociology of tourism and its broader cultural significance, it will analyse developments in tour operation control, sustainable shipping exercise, niche markets like eco-tourism, and check out and evaluate the numerous social, cultural and environmental affects which the tourist enterprise has on destinations.
Work and Society
This module explores the nature of labor and society. It will have a look at the improvement of our knowledge of work and society. The improvement of the commercial and the put up-commercial society will be explored and its effect on the nature of labor, employer and control.
There might be a historic and critical assessment of the faculties of thought and key writers. Examples of research into individual and group experiences of labor, organisation and control may be discussed.
The above is a pattern of the standard modules we provide however isn’t always supposed to be construed and/or relied upon as a definitive listing of the modules on the way to be to be had in any given yr. Modules (along with techniques of assessment) may additionally alternate or be up to date, or modules may be cancelled, over the period of the route because of a number of motives together with curriculum developments or staffing adjustments. Please discuss with the module catalogue for facts on to be had modules. This content material was final updated onThursday 25 February 2021.
The second year of the path permits you to develop expert understanding in finance, accounting and management with the aid of building on your first-12 months studies.
The 2nd yr also offers an opportunity to increase your precise pursuits through optionally available modules inside or out of doors the Business School.
Accounting Information Systems
This module appears at using accounting information systems in financial and management accounting and their manage and audit. You’ll cover subjects consisting of:
- creation to systems
- enterprise strategies
- budgeting and decision aid structures
- internal manage and audit
- laptop crime and outside audit
- business enterprise useful resource making plans structures
This module concentrates at the predominant funding and financing decisions made by managers inside a company.
Intermediate Corporate Reporting
This module addresses the application of monetary reporting principles in preparing economic statements in accordance with International Financial Reporting Standards for more than a few transactions and economic events. This module also develops your understanding of the function of outside audit and audit idea and exercise.
This module will offer an advent to the concept and exercise of quantitative economic modelling at a fundamental level. The theoretical framework will be developed around the classical regression version and its extensions, with theoretical understanding being supplemented with laptop-based totally sensible examples of modelling and records analysis.
This module will introduce the subsequent topics:
- Activity based totally costing
- Process costing
- Transfer pricing
- The changing function of the management accountant
- Curvilinear fee capabilities (as an instance, the mastering curve)
- Pricing selections and strategies
- The variety of alternative procedures to overall performance measurement and their respective merits/troubles
This module presents you with a theoretical and carried out evaluate of strategic management in trendy operational surroundings. It introduces and analyses the key standards, frameworks and techniques of strategic control, which allow them to diagnose complex conditions related to actual-global enterprise improvement.
Quantitative Methods 2A
In this module you may have a look at in addition maths and information inclusive of topics including linear algebra, restricted optimisation, distinction equations and speculation checking out.
Up to 2 from:
Corporate Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management
The modern-day business climate needs that agencies, large or small, expand the functionality to assume and reply to modifications of their external surroundings. These changes might also constitute opportunities or threats for companies.
Entrepreneurship has been viewed as a means through which monetary actors identify and pursue such possibilities. It is frequently assumed that huge, hooked up enterprises are restrained by using bureaucracy and are not as flexible and entrepreneurial as new small companies. There are, however, several examples of big companies (such as Sony, 3M and IBM), that have been capable of create and sustain a aggressive benefit by means of being constantly revolutionary and entrepreneurial.
This module explores entrepreneurship in larger organizations. Corporate entrepreneurship is a time period used to explain entrepreneurial behaviour interior hooked up mid-sized and big enterprises.
Database Design and Implementation
This module examines the process of relational database layout and implementation the usage of relevant theory. Applications of cutting-edge databases could be studied and all students will be required to create a database system, fully documented, to resolve a given hassle.
Managing Business Operations
This module explores the strategic significance of operations in commercial enterprise control, inside and throughout enterprises, and in addressing environmental and societal challenges. Organisations in this module refer to corporations from the public, private and 1/3 sectors; carrier and manufacturing.
Examples of topics include:
- value and overall performance
- the hyperlinks with different business capabilities
- product and provider innovation
- managing the supply chain and community
- useful resource control
- excellence through development and nice
Managing Tourism and the Environment: Conflict or Consensus?
This module will have a look at and discover:
- the interactions between and the control of tourism and the surroundings from the attitude of key stakeholders which include business, authorities, non-governmental enterprises, traveler and local communities
- the emergence of environmentally concerned consumers and the results of various environmental paradigms for tourism improvement
- debates surrounding the environmental and economic impacts of tourism to spotlight the potential for both warfare and consensus
- the role performed via strain corporations in influencing tourism improvement and the emergence of nature/eco-tourism
The Psychology of Economic and Business Decisions
Much financial and business behaviour deviates from the conventional views of rationality – for example, utility and income maximisation. This module gives a top level view of alternative perspectives of decision making from behavioural economics and the financial psychology of character preference.
The focus is both on new techniques of monetary enquiry and the insights they have got generated into financial and business decision making. These new strategies encompass: experimental and cognitive economics; neuroeconomics; economics of feelings and happiness; behavioural finance; cultural economics; social alternatives and evolutionary psychology.
Risk Management Decisions
This module will introduce the one-of-a-kind aspects of corporate risk and examine how the danger of fortuitous loss can also affect the diverse stakeholders inside the operations of firms.
Supply Chain and Operations Planning
This module will introduce you to:
- deliver chain fundamentals, such as: the supply chain making plans processes and the want for them
- planning approaches and strategies, inclusive of: forecasting; aggregate planning; MRP; potential management; concept of constraints (TOC); JIT (kanban); inventory control
- IS/IT aid for making plans along with ERP structures
- making plans through the supply chain, examining the challenges in exclusive contexts via case research
The above is a sample of the typical modules we provide however isn’t supposed to be construed and/or relied upon as a definitive list of the modules so one can be to be had in any given 12 months. Modules (consisting of methods of evaluation) might also exchange or be updated, or modules can be cancelled, over the length of the path due to a number of reasons which include curriculum tendencies or staffing changes. Please discuss with the module catalogue for facts on to be had modules. This content material become remaining updated on
In your very last yr, you’ll look at four middle regions extensive: company reporting and evaluation, management accounting, business ethics and sustainability, and economic markets.
There are also extra opportunities with a view to tailor the path on your hobbies and career aspirations via optional modules.
Advanced Corporate Reporting and Analysis
This module covers superior monetary reporting topics consisting of:
- accounting conceptual framework
- accounting measurement and recognition issues
- unique topics
Advanced Management Accounting
Content to be confirmed.
Business Ethics and Sustainability
This module explores the (inter)relationships between business, society and the surroundings thru the theories and practices of enterprise ethics and sustainability. You will be brought to extraordinary moral frameworks that may be used to understand a commercial enterprise’ duties to a large variety of stakeholders; starting from traders and clients, to employees, groups and ecosystems.
The module equips you with the capacity to describe and cope with precise conditions that allow and/or constrain ethical and sustainable selection-making in organizations. Ultimately, the module develops your ‘moral imagination’ – to become accountable managers of the future – in light of competing stakeholder expectancies, situational elements, and broader demanding situations of sustainability.
Financial Markets: Theory and Computation
This module examines the workings of the foremost financial markets. Markets for equity and debt are dealt with (money and forex markets also are the point of interest) as are markets for derivative units. The module covers the key theoretical models of modern finance, key market conventions and mechanisms, monetary chance control with spinoff gadgets.
You have to pick 4 non-obligatory modules from:
This module covers greater complex issues in:
- income tax
- country wide insurance contributions
- employer tax
- capital profits tax and price added tax on people and entities
- inheritance tax idea and practice
- interplay among different taxes
- international tax problems
- extra complicated tax making plans concerns
- modern-day problems and trends
This module will provide an creation to econometric techniques for modelling data. Topics to be covered include:
- panel statistics modelling (difference-in-difference models; regression discontinuity designs; experiments)
- qualitative response models
- time collection fashions
Behavioural Economics and Finance
This module will provide you with an know-how of methods, consequences and models of behavioural economics and behavioural finance. We will talk approximately experiments and their importance in numerous fields. Within this context we can cowl subjects along with:
- how to layout an experiment
- asset markets
- labour markets
- social dilemmas
- behavioural finance
- market structure
You will discover ways to design your very own test and a way to interpret empirical consequences.
Business School Dissertation
This module is an possibility with the intention to work in large part independently and extensive on a topic of your desire to be authorized by way of group of workers from the Business School.
Business, Government and Public Policy
You will be encouraged to understand the political and institutional frameworks within which enterprise operates. Businesses do no longer actually react to policies set by government but; they’re intimately worried in the procedures of policy formation and choice making might be examined. You may be recommended to suppose severely about policy formation and the function of commercial enterprise in this procedure.
Corporate Restructuring and Governance
This module examines the antecedents and effects of corporate restructuring. Factors triggering corporate restructuring are considered in a number of alternative organisational settings. In particular, the role of company governance in inducing and shaping corporate restructuring gets unique interest (mainly, govt reimbursement and the marketplace for company control).
The process of restructuring is discussed towards a heritage of resource-based, organization and behavioural theories of the corporation. The impact of company restructuring on the dimensions, complexity, incentive systems and ownership structure of massive corporations is tested. Finally, the proof regarding the results of corporate restructuring on overall performance, employment, R&D and company governance is examined.
This module will provide an creation to a few theoretical standards related to the allocation of hazard by economic establishments. Then it’ll apply those ideas to the analysis of economic and banking crises.
This module discusses and analyses the management of the international finance feature of companies. Typical troubles encompass:
- foreign exchange markets
- forex and other worldwide dangers
- international economic markets
- international investment decisions
- overseas trade
Law and Economics
This module covers:
- creation to law and economics: the Coase theorem, property rights and transaction prices
- economics of company law: ownership, agency and governance systems
- economics of settlement law: green breach and efficient remedies
- economics of tort law: green legal responsibility guidelines
- economics of criminal law: fines and imprisonment
- economics of felony techniques: litigation, settlement and trial
- aggressive markets: products legal responsibility
- non-aggressive markets: economics of antitrust regulation and regulation
Managing Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
This module covers:
- key standards and definitions
- contextualising equality, range and inclusion (EDI)
- EDI in organizations: same opportunity, diversity and ‘mainstreaming’ strategies
- implicit bias
- handling for EDI: organisational interventions.
This module examines the strategic importance of producing and provider operations, and the important thing links between operations and other practical strategies.
The module explores the importance of a well formulated and specific operations approach to make sure the development of a a hit business.
The module discusses the interdependence of guidelines for ability, generation, deliver networks, development and agency.
Plant Location and Design
This module affords an knowledge of the factors which have an effect on a enterprise’s desire of region, and of the way to method the layout of layouts to support a organization’s strategic goals and maximise the efficiency of its operations.
Risk Management Processes
This module will speak the procedures utilised by using company firms to manage the danger of fortuitous loss. Once company dangers were identified and their effect at the company measured, danger management tries to manipulate the scale and frequency of loss, and to finance the ones fortuitous losses which do arise.
Risk, Information and Insurance
This module examines character choice-making underneath situations of danger and uncertainty, and investigates the effectiveness of coverage as a way of controlling threat.
Strategic Innovation Management
This module introduces you to key strategy and innovation standards and tools which might be relevant to dynamic markets wherein there’s speedy exchange in information and abilities, technology, products, and services. Topics included consist of:
- growing and sustaining competitive gain in dynamic markets
- dynamic abilties
- first and 2d mover advantages in innovation
- enterprise life cycles
- new product improvement and generation lock-ins
- innovation in offerings (public and private quarter)
Technology Entrepreneurship in Practice
This module objectives to provide you with the talents, expertise and realistic enjoy required to respond to the challenges concerned in dealing with, commercialising and advertising technological innovation and new commercial enterprise improvement.
The above is a pattern of the everyday modules we provide however isn’t supposed to be construed and/or relied upon as a definitive list of the modules to be able to be to be had in any given 12 months. Modules (together with techniques of evaluation) may additionally alternate or be updated, or modules can be cancelled, over the length of the path due to a number of motives which include curriculum tendencies or staffing modifications. Please discuss with the module catalogue for statistics on to be had modules. This content changed into closing up to date on